How to Upgrade Your Flossing Technique
No matter how you slice it, dragging a piece of string between your teeth and across tender mouth tissue isn’t an appealing notion. However, if you tweak a few tendencies, you’ll find flossing can be as pleasant and refreshing as a candlelit massage. Here are some tips to up your game from careless cleaner to floss boss:
- Floss with gentle movements in the pockets and the gum pillow in between each tooth.
- Give extra attention as you wrap the floss around the backside of your back teeth and remove sneaky gunk (most of us neglect this step).
- Go delicate with your gums. Your goal is to remove stuck debris, not test how hard you can slam your gums until they bleed.
- Go rogue and floss in front of the TV or in bed (or at the mall, or on a date, or…).
- Hit your thumb with a drop of your favourite essential oil and pull along the floss string for a flavour boost and to block quorum sensing (plaque’s communication method).
- Make flossing a game - challenge yourself to remove as much visible scum as possible (rather than just mechanically pulling the string through the ol’ chompers).
- Use a habit tracker to measure how often you're actually flossing.
- As motivation, imagine how smug you’ll feel when your dentist asks about your flossing habits.